Thursday, February 06, 2020

The Honest Skeptic

Once upon a time I used to blog. It's crazy to me how times have changed. My last published post was just about six years ago. There's no way to recapture six years. Blogs have definitely fallen out of fashion unless you sell something-- a diet plan, essential oils, polarizing opinions on something or another.

And what has become abundantly clear is that posting ideas and stories on the internet is dangerous. Words come back to haunt us. People misunderstand us. Troll come out to torment us. Our cyber habits are tracked and used to sell us stuff. It's like the wild west on digital crack.

I handle this by withdrawing. By pulling away into my own little world of safety by constructing walls and shutting down. What the world does not know, the world cannot criticize. If you hide in the background no one will know you're there and you can live undisturbed.

Yet as I look back at my life when I wasn't hiding in the shadows I see a vibrancy and honesty that I'm missing now. I used to care about the world so much. I used to care about helping people, about making the world a better place. I used to really live.

Now, I can't seem to be bothered. It all takes so much work and you know what you get out of it? Criticism. Judgement. Distrust. Skepticism.

Isn't there a way to live in honesty and with vibrancy and deal with the criticism and skepticism in a healthier way?

No comments: