Saturday, November 17, 2012

I Hate Colds

I've been sick this week and it hasn't been fun. I know it's November and definitely the cold and flu season but I'm still living in Hawaii's near-perfect climate and having a severe winter cold is completely out of place. Drippy nose while walking on a white sandy beach? Drinking tea for congestion while having to turn on the fan at full blast so I don't overheat?

Not to mention that cold medicine has afforded me the peace and calm to be okay with sitting on my bed and looking at the wall for hours.

This is not normal.

On the bright side, I was asked to be a mock victim for a remote medical clinic training thing yesterday and hardly had to act at all! But the unfortunate thing was that after the training was over my "pretend" symptoms didn't go away. And the drugs they were prescribing took the form of jellybeans and hot tamales.

On a different and yet somewhat related note, I'm quitting my side-job of Japanese tour guiding (yay!). Part of my job was working at the airport meeting and assisting Japanese tourists who were arriving and leaving the island. I was a glorified babysitter and baggage handler. Sometimes I was handling up to thirty bags a flight! Touching all those bags coming from germ infested Japan... no wonder I got sick. They have really contagious bad cold there... something about being crammed on trains with thirty million people.

So I blame the Japanese for my sickness. No, it's not may fault for forgetting my hand sanitizer at home. And no it's not my fault my immune system seems to be shot in general (third sickness in three months). It's those darn Japanese tourists and their bags.

Okay fine. Maybe it's a little bit my fault.
Ugh.

No comments: