Thursday, March 15, 2012

There be giants

When I was in San Diego last week I went on a walk just to clear my head and get some exercise. In the middle of the sidewalk I walked past a smooth round stone. I stopped and picked it up; it was plain and boring, but it fit perfectly in my palm. I tossed it in the air and felt it's weight. This is the kind of stone that David went out to look for when he was on his way to slay Goliath, I thought. Without the stones his sling would be useless. Without them the giant wouldn't fall.

He needed a stone, a tool. And I heard a small little voice say to me, I am giving you a tool, just like this stone, and with it you'll be able to slay giants.

It was a nice little confirmation about film school. There is so much more to film than camera and lights; there's a convergence of ideas and influence, there's story telling and communication. It can be such a powerful medium.

It can be a stone to set in a sling and fling at the face of giants.

To read more about my decision to go to film school go here.

No comments: